Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #7B

First, let me apologize for the length of this blog. However, I have to share this with those of you who wonder if we, as teachers, make a difference in the lives of the kids we come into contact with.

I am teaching 5th grade acceleration this summer to a group of 8 students who scored between 1800 and 2000 on both administrations of the Reading TAKS. Needless to say, there are as demotivated as they can be in their third week of having to spend 4 grueling hours a day doing the thing they all told me they hated on the first day: READING!

Today something happened that rocked my world. I have gone home every night and talked to my husband about these kids. I have wondered if what I am doing in these few short weeks is really going to make a difference for their TAKS test. I am not spending our time together drilling them on how to answer TAKS questions or teaching them how to write a summary in the margin for each paragraph. No, I am sharing my love for reading with them. We begin each day with a Read Aloud. (I often think they are still asleep, but surprisingly they really are listening). We end each day talking about books they might like to read. I bring in books from the library and my own collection and show them what I like to read and what my former students have told me is good. On Tuesday this week, I shared one of my favorite read alouds, Roald Dahl's Witches. If you have not read it, it is worth picking up and at least reading the first few pages out loud. After I read them the first few pages, the next day we went to the library. Almost every single one of them checked it out and one kid even went to the public library and checked it out. I tell you all this because today during out 15 minute snack time, several students started talking about the book. They were laughing and comparing anecdotes from the book. I was amazed! I let them continue on, just listening to their excitement. As the conversation began to end, they all looked at me and I had tears in my eyes. I told them this was the reason I was a teacher. They all looked at me weird and then I explained to them that just 14 days ago they HATED reading and now they were actually loving it. They walked out of my room today, believing they have changed. I would love for them to all pass the TAKS next Wednesday. But even if they don't, I have taught them something far better than passing a standardized test, I have taught them that Reading is worthwhile, something they can enjoy, and fun!

Read this blog entry that talks about reflecting on what you want to improve about yourself or your teaching. I agree, when we stop doing what we love, it is time to walk out the door!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this heart-warming account of your acceleration group. It touched me. That truly is why I am a teacher. When I see the "light bulb come on," I feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment. The kids may not understand it, but I know how great a thing has happened when they turn the corner on loving to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this story with us. I believe you have made a difference for these kids that will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete