Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing #7

I read a blog that people who only view blogs and do not comment are called "lurkers". I am guilty of being a lurker until recently. I never really felt I was "qualified" to comment on blogs of people I did not know. Actually, it is quite liberating. I am actually contributing to a community of people who are interested in the same things I am. I am not commenting on every blog I read, but if I have something to add, I am no longer afraid to speak up. I am curious to know, is it necessary, annoying, or bad manners not to respond to comments left on your own blog? I feel compelled into saying thank you every time, but is it a blogging etiquette faux pax if you don't?

3 comments:

  1. Some people say thank you, but most don't. I think it is entirely up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Lurking" is such a powerful yet creepy term. But I felt the same way you did. I didn't comment because I didn't want to barge in on someone else's thoughts.

    As far as commenting on your own blog, here is a comment from Sylvia Martinez wrote on Drape's Takes: Edublogger Etiquette - Responding to Comments :
    "Sometimes when I see a blogger respond to each and every comment, it's almost like they are protecting their "turf" a little too aggressively.

    Especially in the Will Richardson example, can't he leave his readers alone to have a conversation? Why does he have to be the focus?

    I have to agree with maryw in that I believe it's up to your discretion. It might get exhausting and time consuming to try and respond to each and every comment you get. As to that -- no need to comment to this one if you don't have time :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG -- my hyperlinks worked!!! That's a first for me!

    ReplyDelete