Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing #1

I have always felt that I was a lifelong learner, taking classes, attending workshops, trying new things. I think technology is one area where I learn just enough to get by and never to the point of using it to the fullest potential. I take technology classes, but going back to my classroom and creating lessons to incorporate its use seems to fail me. I am not one to sit down to write lesson plans and ask myself,"what technology can I include in my lesson?"

One habit of a lifelong learner that I enjoy and I find easy for me is to teach and mentor. I think when we mentor other people on what we have learned it solidifies our understandings. I am more likely to incorporate what I have learned into my life if I have to explain or share it with someone else.

The habit I think is most challenging for me is to view problems as challenges. I get frustrated easily and want to give up when I can't figure something out or something goes wrong. I am an emotional person, so when my feelings get hurt or I am not successful at something, I lose confidence in myself and my capabilities. Learning that problems are just stepping stones in learning valuable life lessons is something that is hard for me to accept. I am working on this in my personal and professional life. There is a new Hannah Montana song out called "The Climb". (I have an 11 year old daughter so give me a break!) In this song she says there will always be another mountain to climb and sometimes you will lose, but it is all about the climb. That is the mindset we must have in order to pick ourselves up after a "challenge and move on.

The habit I think will be most useful to me is to create a learner toolbox. If I can create a reference list that includes instructions and examples of the new technology tools that I learn, then I can use the toolbox to help me plan my instruction. I will be able to create new and exciting options for assignments and assessments. It will also help me to open communication with my students with writing assignments. Let's face it, most kids do not like to write and we get very little quality writing from them. But being able to utilize the computer to share their thoughts and ideas, now that is something I can get them excited about!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I'm looking forward to learning along with you this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like to teach and mentor....I may be calling you soon!! Maybe we can problem solve together.

    ReplyDelete