Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing #2

Summer 2.0 Thoughts

I believe that if you are not using technology to its fullest in your classroom, you are doing your students an injustice. They are much more techno-savy than we imagine, and doing things the old fashioned way (paper and pencil, powerpoint slides, overhead transparencies, books on tape, etc.) is just way too boring and they aren’t engaged.

We need to harness the type of activities they are doing outside school: myspace, facebook, twitter, blogging, texting, podcasts, streaming video, uploading, downloading, creating and exploring the vast amount of information that is now at their fingertips. We need to find ways to incorporate those uses of technology into our lessons. On a daily basis, my own children are sending text messages, twittering their friends, uploading pictures to their myspace, searching the web for anything and everything, and actually thinking! If I want to know what my 11 year old daughter is really thinking, I have to look over her shoulder as she twitters!!!

If we are preparing kids now for jobs that don’t even exist yet, how will they be technologically equipped if we aren’t giving them the opportunity to create and explore these powerful tools?

3 comments:

  1. I agree..you are doing a huge injustice to your students if you are not using technology with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that we are doing today's students an injustice if we are not using technology in the classroom. That is the main reason that I am in this course. I have just been left behind the techno-world. Every year, one of my goals is to learn to use technology better. Many of the teachers on my campus got promethean boards the past couple of years and I even went to one of the beginner classes. Still, I just didn't feel comfortable. And, since I didn't have one in my classroom, I didn't feel rushed to start using one. I did always feel, though, that the students in the classes that had them were getting something very important that my students were missing. Next year I will have a board and I want to be able to use it effectively to enhance my students' learning. Hopefully, some of the things I am learning to use here will also be of benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on figuring out some new technology to better serve my little ones. I'm learning some new cool stuff. I love your blog page!

    ReplyDelete