Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #22

Well, I have finally been forced to create a Facebook account. I have held out so long because I guess I just don't have the time to spend telling everyone I know what I do every second of my life. I think social networking has its benefits...finding your lost love from high school (which I did), finding out you aren't the only one that has gotten old and fat since high school, or just chatting with friends. I am still a pick-up-the-phone kinda girl. I think as teachers we should know that almost every kid has a myspace or facebook account and we should learn how to get around in it. They are using it day and night and it is the new generation's communication tool, I just haven't really gotten into it. As for educational purposes, it is a useful tool for teachers to have discussion and it is a good networking site if you have a purpose for locating someone or something you need, however, as far as myself communicating with students via facebook, I am uneasy.

What I liked: finding people I haven't seen in forever. Reading friends chats about things going on in their lives. Easy to set up.
What I didn't like: Sending friend requests and having to type those difficult to read texts. There is not enough identifier info to locate some people.

Here is mine. Request to be my friend. It is too sad to have a sight that says I have no friends!!!

2 comments:

  1. Angie, I tried your link to your Facebook page. The connection took me to my own home page. I'll keep trying to locate your page.

    I agree with your apprehensions about communicating with students via Facebook. I already have a personal account that students could find if they really wanted to. I don't think I want that to happen.

    Also, I found cutestblogontheblock.com. I have a new layout on my page now. Thanks!

    Julia
    http://longhornmom-jjw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be your friend, but I couldn't find your profile! If you send me a request, I'll add you.

    I agree that Facebook is probably not something that you want to use with your students. Now that you understand Facebook and social networking a little better, though, there is another alternative - Ning - which you will learn about in the next thing.

    ReplyDelete